Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Woods: Patterns of Light

Local artist Lynn Uhlmann will display her art in Lehman Library Gallery at Shippensburg University from September 20 to October 20, 2011. A reception with Uhlmann is set for 4:00 p.m. on September 21, 2011 in the gallery.

Uhlmann is an accomplished artist whose work has been exhibited throughout the nation. She earned her bachelor’s degree in fine arts from Alfred University in New York State and her masters of fine arts from the University of Kansas.

She has extensive professional and teaching experience. She was an adjunct faculty member in Shippensburg’s art department from 2002 to 2005 and was a faculty member in fine arts at Colorado Mountain College in Leadville, Colorado. She was also an art teacher in Lancaster County and does custom art work.

Her work has been shown in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Colorado, California, Kansas, Wisconsin, New York and Indiana.

She has received numerous awards for her work and is the 2011 artist-in-residence with the Glen Arbor Art Association in Glen Arbor, Mich.

Lynn says of her paintings: “I wanted to bring back my experience with [the use of] art, tapping into it. Some of the forms showing up in my paintings, especially this past year – my trees are starting to get more expressive. To me, they look like they’re pouting, or flaunting, or in a dance-like pose – sometimes the branches look like hands on hips! I see rear ends and breasts, a torso often. They could have faces. I don’t consciously try. … Sometimes I think they’re talking to each other through colors, shapes, light.”

Additionally, she remarks: “I love, love, love the trees, always looking at them everyplace I go: ‘Look at that form!’ The possibilities are just limitless, with these living, beautiful shapes. It’s a place I love to be – I might not ever get out of the woods!”

1 comment:

Let us know what you think