New Banners on the Lower LevelThe next time you go to the refurbished Lower Level Study Area look UP. We have installed 4 new banners which are smaller versions of the one hanging in the lobby - The Compass Rose at Ship.
Tuesday, November 29, 2011
Thursday, November 17, 2011
The broadcast of the Little Red Schoolhouse, Humanities on the Road episode is airing on Friday, November 25 at 6:00 pm, Saturday, November 26 at 2 pm, and Monday, November 28 at 10 am on your local PCN channel. The broadcast was shot at Shippensburg University in our Little Red Schoolhouse. To find the PCN-TV channel in your area, visit www.pcntv.com/in-your-area. For example, Shippensburg Comcast subscribers will be able to view the show on cable channel 20.
· A pre-show interview is now posted on the Humanities on the Road (HOTR) blog at http://humanitiesontheroad.squarespace.com/the-little-red-schoolhouse/
· A clip from the episode will be posted on Tuesday, November 22 at (www.humanitiesontheroad.org).
· Also on Tuesday, November 22, the PA Humanities Council (PHC) will post on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pages/Pennsylvania-Humanities-Council/115953181801857.
· The entire episode will be posted (in segments) on or around Wednesday, November 30 on the HOTR YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/user/humanitiesontheroad.
· The Little Red Schoolhouse episode will be available to Comcast subscribers via On Demand approximately two weeks after the episode airs.
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
SUGGEST NEW BOOKS
Dying to read the latest Dean Koontz novel? You can recommend that we purchase it. Check out the “Recommendations” clipboard on the Lower Level at the Popular Titles Collection.
Friday, November 11, 2011
TOP FLOOR QUIET ZONE
In order to reduce the ambient noise on the Upper Level, we are going to keep the doors closed at the top of the steps. Also please assist us in keeping this floor quiet by NOT TALKING.
Tuesday, November 1, 2011
The Little Red Schoolhouse:
An American Icon
The Little Red Schoolhouse at Ship was originally located at Mount Jackson, or Potato Point, near Newburg. Built in 1865, it was in use as a school until 1954.
In 2006 the SU Archives & Special Collections Librarian, Karen Daniel, received an email from Jonathan Zimmerman, a professor of Education and History at New York University. He was writing a book about the history and legacy of the one-room schoolhouse and was interested in the history of the schoolhouse on our campus. Dr. Zimmerman reviewed materials from the SU Archives which contributed to his book, Small Wonder: The Little Red Schoolhouse in History and Memory.
In 2009, Shippensburg University was selected by the Pennsylvania Humanities Commission to be the site for Jonathan Zimmerman’s TV program on one-room schoolhouses. The episode was taped before a live audience on April 30, 2011 in our schoolhouse. The Pennsylvania Humanities Council produces Humanities on the Road, a television series that airs on the Pennsylvania Cable Network. The program will be broadcast on PCN-TV in November 2011.
The Gallery display features numerous photos and related text regarding our Little Red Schoolhouse:
· The Little Red Schoolhouse at Mount Jackson
· Reconstruction of the Little Red Schoolhouse
· Teaching in the Little Red Schoolhouse
· The Little Red Schoolhouse on Television